The Poker Man's Poker Blog

Hello, I'm a new poker player and you can follow along with me as I fine tune my ongoing poker education and post in this poker blog. I will be posting about the poker games I play, how I played them, and why I played them the way I did in this poker blog. I will also add some other interesting articles and online poker room reviews along the way!

Tuesday, June 07, 2005

$150+$12 Super Tuesday Multi-Table Party Poker Tournament

Tonight I was sitting around writing some stuff for my website when I buddy of mine contacted me and asked me to play in the Super Tuesday PartyPoker Tournament. I looked and saw that the tournament cost $150+$12 to play and said, "no thanks, I don't have that kind of money." After talking with him for a little bit, he offered to stake me. If I win any amount of money, I would give him half of the winnings for staking me. After pondering for a moment as to what I was doing tonight, I accepted the proposal.

We started playing at 8:00 Central Time and I was as pumped as ever to play this high stakes tournament. I kept telling myself that I was going to place and that I was going to outplay everybody and get to the final table. Well I played pretty tight unless it was my blind, but I noticed that everybody else was playing pretty tight as well so I started to loosen up a little bit.

I had Q7o on the small blind and it was me and 2 others playing. I flopped a queen so I bet out 15 and got one call. I figured he had Ax or a draw so I bet out 35 on the turn and he folded. I took down a little pot.

My next playable hand that came was 44. Since the table was fairly tight, I decided to make a run for the blinds and raised it to 45 preflop. One guy reraised me to 90 so I simply called his reraise. I saw it as a situation where I was a 4 to 1 dog if he had a pocket pair or a coin flip if he had overcards. I saw the flop just to see if I could either catch a 4 or bluff him on a bad flop. Something in my gut told me that he had pocket jacks or pocket queens by the weak reraise preflop. The only overcard on the flop was a King, so I bet 15 to see if he would raise me and how much he would raise me. Sure enough, he raised, but only to 50, which I thought was weak. I reraised him to 150 and he pondered for awhile then called. I was actually surprised that he called. The turn came a blank card and I thought that I could get him off his hand if I went all-in. He immediately called and showed me pocket kings for 3 of a kind.

After thinking about how I played the hand I believe that my actions were poor. If I went into the hand with the intentions of getting him off of his hand just like I did, I should have let him take the hand away after he called me reraise/checkraise on the flop. Right then and there I should have recognized that his hand was far superior to mine.

The next hand I got AA so, naturally, I put the rest of my chips into the pot hoping that a would quadrouple up. 4 people called the raise and the flop came all low 355. I was quite satisfied with my position at this point in time, however it was not long before 2 players had bet all of their chips. The turn was a 10 and the river was a blank. The two players turned over 45 and 10 10. My AA turned out to be the 3rd best, or worst, hand at the table. What a joke.

So, no matter what, I would have lost all of my chips if I played them at either of the hands that I lost in. They mostly went in with 44, which was a dumb play, but if they went in with AA I would have lost anyways. The Mac Party Poker gods just weren't with me today, but hopefully they will be there some day.

I view my experience playing this $150 tournament as a great one. I learned more about the difference in play at higher stakes. People play more tight and more aggressive. Unlike the low limit tourneys where the number of players drops from 2000 to 1000 in only an hour, the $150 table sustains its level of players for a much longer time.'

If you want to play high stakes poker, I highly recommend playing at Party Poker. They have high stakes up to $2000 No-limit and the action is very hot.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hit Counter
Joann Fabric